Here at Thrive is a group of people learning about the Leadership Summit program, and how they can implement it into their ministries. While eating lunch with one of them (Jet, or OSAF-"our South African friend") yesterday, we started talking about the church in South Africa. I was reminded of a saying here: "the church in Africa is a mile wide but only an inch deep."
People here can go to church but not learn or receive anything. 90% of pastors here have no formal training, and that is partly because of the fact that if one has no job, they can just open a church and become a Pastor. That is where the problem of Pastors mixing in Biblical truths with ancestral beliefs stems from.
I have less than a month left here in South Africa, and this lunch conversation reminded me of how blessed I am to be a part of Thrive Africa. Our mission is to "equip and mobilize indigenous leaders to become strategic, Godly influences in their cultural communities", and one way that Thrive does that is through Hand-in-Hand. I can't believe that, through being with Thrive, I get to be part of the solution to the church of South Africa.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment